Some random thoughts that have crossed my mind this week.
- I had the pleasure, okay so pleasure may not be quite the right word, of feeling my first earthquake today. I was at work, standing around chatting with our receptionist Suzie. I could hear, or sense, the mirrored doors of the closet next to me shaking. I’ll admit I didn’t think anything of it until Suzie got a freaked out look on her face and asked why her desk was shaking. My first thought was that someone was banging or dragging something on the floor above us. Then I realized that there was no floor above us, hahaha. I remember somebody, Suzie/Me/My Boss saying what is this an earthquake or something? I didn’t really give it any serious thought until about a half hour later when Suzie came over to my desk and told me that there was an earthquake in Ottawa. Needless to say it’s not like it was anything major where I was, which is probably why it seemed pretty cool to me!
- I wanted to say I was coining a new word today. And that word is……….Sheeple! Unfortunately like everything else good, it’s already taken. So I will have to make my goal to have spell check recognize it. Oh spell check, it doesn’t pass your test….yet. But there will come a day when you won’t underline it with your squiggly red line! Mark my words. Oh, and just to clarify, that would be people behaving like sheep, as opposed to sheep behaving like people………hmmmmmm perhaps I can come up with a word for that! Baaaahhhhhh
- As many of you may know, my bunny died a little while ago. Every since my office moved to its current location 3 years ago, I’ve seen bunnies outside the back door. I’ve had the pleasure of watching 3 generations of bunnies there, as has my girlfriend since she cleans our office on the weekends. I see them every day, a different baby bunny every year, although rarely more than one per year. This particular bunny has become the buildings mascot in a way. All of the smokers are always looking out for him, and have even named him Buttons. He is well-loved by all of us. My girlfriend is always asking how Buttons is doing since I see him almost every day. Just this past Saturday I took this picture of the two of them. When I went in to work on Monday somebody told me they heard the bunny died. Of course I said NO, he couldn’t have, I just saw him. From what I gather the maintenance guy saw fluff and feathers and stuff all over and so far, Buttons has not been seen since. I’m kind of in denial that he might be gone, I still look for him everyday. Because I’m not entirely convinced, my brain is more convinced than my heart is at this point, I haven’t had the heart to tell my girlfriend yet. When she asks about Buttons I just say I haven’t seen him. I’m dreading having to tell her, and praying that I see him again and he’s alright. I’ll be extremely sad if that is the end of our many generations of office bunnies…
- Summer is less than a week old, and already I’m hearing the complaints that it’s “too hot”. This coming quickly on the heals of “it’s raining too much” and “it’s too cold”. Is there a season where Canadians don’t complain about the weather??? If so, is it coming soon?
- I saw something that I don’t remember ever seeing before while I was driving. Well, at least not to the extent that I saw it the other day. I was driving to work on the highway, 2 lanes each way. There were cars in each lane, both going the same speed, followed by another car and me. This other car was obviously in quite a hurry, surprise, because he was swerving back and forth between the lanes anytime he thought one was going faster than the other thinking he might get to pass. I was staying a little ways back for my own safety. Eventually the lead car in the passing lane slowed down to go into the other lane behind the other lead car. Quickly Speedy moved into the opening up lane so he could pass……..but before he finished passing he did something that made my mouth hang open! When he was about 90% of the way passed the other car he jerked his wheel and swerved into the other lane, inches from the car he’d just passed, forcing him to slam on his brakes to not get hit. All of this at 100 km/h! Speedy then jerked the car back into his own lane and floored it to about 150 km/h. It was the equivalent of getting frustrated with someone and shoving them and then running away……except in speeding hunks of metal. Scary! Something needs to be done about the deteriorating respect drivers have for each other, not to mention the raw anger that comes as a result of the most minor situations. I’m open to suggestions…
- I’m calling it right now. The Raptors, who will have an entirely new team next year, will win the NBA Championship!!! Even if you think I’m wrong you won’t be able to prove it for another 11 months, thus to you I say, “NaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNa” while covering my ears!
- I apologize ahead of time for the sheer volume of bunny talk, haha. My girlfriend has recently put a garden in our backyard, so we finally have SOMETHING in the yard. Well a couple of gardens actually, one of which is a vegetable garden. There are so many different things in it, multiple types of lettuce, tomatoes, spinach, corn, herbs, watermelon, strawberries, and much more. Apparently the bunny that lives near us decided to eat ALL of the spinach one night. He didn’t touch anything else. The next night he ate a couple of tiny corn plants…..nothing else. Next night, half of a strawberry! He left it attached, I can only assume in the hope that a) we wouldn’t notice, and b) it would continue to grow. All I have to say to him is DIVERSIFY bunny! Don’t eat all of one thing every night, spread it out a little, geez!