Okay, so an interesting point was brought up with regard to my Friends post the other day. One that at first I didn’t really put much thought into but, today I decided to try to establish, for myself anyway, what the difference between a friend and an acquaintance is.
I had looked at it this way I guess, and this is in its simplest form and I realize that it doesn’t cover everything. A friend is someone who you make plans with, go out with, etc. Whereas an acquaintance is someone who you see when you are out, and chat with, etc. That is my simple, straight to the point version.
Here are a few quotes about friends and acquaintances. Let’s see if they can shed some light for me.
- Go through your phone book, call people and ask them to drive you to the airport. The ones who will drive you are your true friends. The rest aren’t bad people; they’re just acquaintances.
— Jay Leno
- If you have one true friend you have more than your share.
— Thomas Fuller
- Don’t pity the girl with one true friend. Envy her. Pity the girl with just a thousand acquaintances.
— Author Unknown
- Acquaintance. A person whom we know well enough to borrow from, but not well enough to lend to.
— Ambrose Bierce
- Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.
— Oprah Winfrey
- Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years.
— Richard Bach
First off I have to say, some of these sayings are great. I particularly agree with the first one about the phone book, and the borrow but don’t lend one. As to whether this cleared anything up for me………I guess a little bit. I mean if I’m going by the phone book one, I’m gonna say most of the people I know are definitely acquaintances. **No matter how many times I write that word (you know, the acq… one) it’s still wrong every time. I guess that’s what spell check is for though**
Now I fear I have even fewer friends than I thought I did before……..damn, I knew I should have just looked the other way when I had the chance. Oh well, one is all you need right?